Saturday 20 April 2013

Thinking about things LEAP related!

So we got asked:


1. What are the basics of your travel plans?

2. What are you telling people you are going to tell people?

3. What do you think it all means?

And so I answered:

Level 1 is the Physical/Practical

For me, the Level 1 is quite a massive barrier. I'm coming a long way on my own, and this will be the furthest away from home (and my husband, since we've been married!) on my own. I'm also very nervous about the costs of the trip, I don't want to be a burden on my national Mensa even though I know they have SO much faith it me, it's amazing.

Level 2 is the 'Presentation Layer'  or Spin Cycle

As far as the presentation is concerned, I'm not worried. I know why I'm coming to this, and it's to show that I am representing an extraordinary group of young people I am so proud to call my friends. I'm going to introduce everyone to the amazing people I've met, and show them how a particular form of leadership works really well with young members of Mensa. I'm going to show them what can be achieved if the young people they want so desperately to be involved have a hand in running the group, and I'm going to show them what a profound effect this can have on people's lives, particularly mine.

Level 3 - The Meaning layer

I am so freaking proud of what we have achieved here in New Zealand, and I want to tell the whole world about it. I want to show them that there are young people out there who are begging to be involved in a group like ours, and that although it is a big task, there are brilliant, brilliant young Mensans who want to take this on. We are a community; we provide support, friendship and encouragement to our members, we provide each other with a place we feel safe and comfortable talking about ourselves, our lives and our ideas.

There is so much more I can say about this, but I know I ramble, so trying to keep that as under wraps as I can....for now...Just they wait until I get to the US :P

No comments:

Post a Comment