Sunday 4 August 2013

Bratislava day three- Presentation day!

Friday was presentation day! It was an extremely full program with Isabella, Chair of the LEAP Committee speaking first at 9am, then me finishing up around 7.30pm. There were no breaks between our presentations, so it was a full schedule.

Isabella gave us a very warm introduction and we were joined by the members of ExComm before their meeting.

Lourens opened the LEAP presentations with another excellent discussion on Gifted Children. It's really interesting to hear international perspectives on this, and gave me some ideas for how we can expand our interactions with our gifted kids. It also made me very aware of the limitations for this group in New Zealand, and how important it is that we have a strong working relationships with other organisations such as the New Zealand Association for Gifted Children and Mary's Gifted Contacts. The trouble other Mensas are having in this area makes me very grateful for the contacts I have in these organisations, so I thank them very much for working with Mensa.

If you didn't know already, Mensa New Zealand has a Facebook group for parents of our Young Members, to try to help these families connect. Uptake has been slow so far, but we know it will be a valuable resource for parents and kids, so we're looking at promoting it more in the next few weeks. If you're interesting in joining, email me at young.members@mensa.org.nz.

Petr presented on the programs for Gifted Children in the Czech Republic, and every time I hear about it I am equally impressed. This time instead of merely sitting in stunned silence (I know- me, silent? it must be good right?) I was able to appreciate how this could have an immense benefit not only for Mensa members in New Zealand, but all children. This event is not only about logic and intelligence, but has an incredible social aspect through the regional and national finals. I really look forward to working with the LEAP teach and Czech Mensa to try to get Logical Olympics running in New Zealand. I will post the link here so you can look at what Logical Olympics has to offer.

Jessie gave her fantastic presentation on engaging isolated members. I love this, because in New Zealand, most of our members are isolated. I love the use of competitions in Mensa Australia and definitely think this is something we can pick up on in New Zealand. I look forward to seeing the other projects Jessie has in mind, because I think this is where Mensa needs to go to connect its members. I will definitely be staying in touch with Jessie.

For those of you who don't already know, Jessie set up the M<18 group on Facebook, which is international for Mensa members between 13 and 17. If you are a Mensa member of this age and want to join, visit https://www.facebook.com/groups/MUnder18/?fref=ts

Peter Sells presented on different types of leadership, different types of power and the difference between managing and leading. His presentation always makes me reflect on my own style of leadership and how important it is to have good management AND good leadership in an organisation, and that they are two different things.

I like Geoff Russell's presentation, because little changes and little actions can make a big difference and I am a firm believer in that. I don't think we appreciate the difference small actions can make, and we definitely don't appreciate the small victories. More often than not I hear "Oh I put on an event and only four people came" and I think, four people?! Wow! You made a difference in the lives of four people that day! That might have been the most fun, engaging, exciting thing those four people did that week. I think today we are led to believe that the only events in our lives that matter are the giant ones; the massive displays of affection, the most enormous problems and the biggest gatherings of people in our lives. The only people whose lives are really like that, are fictional characters in books, movies and television. Live small, enjoy the small things and you will really begin to create momentum in your life and the lives of others.

And then there was me. I love giving this presentation and talking about Young Members and what this really means to me. I love it that we started Young Members as a way of getting to meet a few other members my age, but I really did not expect to have the impact it has had. I really need to say a big, big thank you to the Young Members of Mensa New Zealand, you guys really are my inspiration, and the more time I spend with you, the more inspired I am. Thank you so much.

I again introduced the idea of the Young Members group, and also importantly that our Young Members Coordinator position is a National Board position. This is different from pretty much every other Mensa in the world, so this really sets us apart as world leaders. Providing a link between the National Board and young people gives Mensa New Zealand an ever expanding hub of ideas and enthusiasm to help benefit the whole organisation. 

After our presentations we joined a whole lot of others for the City Lights Tour, which included drinks at a couple of Bratislavan pubs and bars.
It was great to get together with other Mensa members and chat and get to know one another. I had a really great night on this tour and ended up dancing the night away!

No comments:

Post a Comment