Monday 5 August 2013

Vienna - Monday


 After a little bit of drama Sunday night involving me getting lost in Vienna, I woke to another beautiful day. Inka, my wonderful Austrian friend from high school  met up with me in central Vienna and took me to a fantastic cafe next to the water. Viennese fare is delicious and we had a great time sitting outside and catching up on the last 11 years.

We took a wander around Vienna, and every time I go back there I see something else I haven’t seen before, or experience something new. It really is a beautiful city and has definitely won a place in my heart. Anyone visiting Europe should definitely swing by Vienna, and take in the wonderful mix of old and new.


We then decided to head back to Inka’s apartment in the city and back out to the Donau (Danube) river and enjoy some of the Austrian summer. I was leaving the city at 11.30pm, so wanted to make the most of the summer. On the way there, we passed the New City, where the UN and other organisations are set up in beautiful new buildings next to the river. Inka says the construction of these buildings has  led to an increase in house prices and activity in this area.
 There is a great set up down by the river, with lots of places for sunbathing, eating and swimming. Even though there is no sea nearby, the set up really makes you feel you’re on a seaside holiday. It helped that it was beautifully hot there.


Inka dropped me back at my hotel, and there were more sad goodbyes. It’s so crazy that after all this time it still felt like we had never stopped hanging out with each other. I’m so happy I’m taking a wee charm to New Zealand with me that will make me think of Inka every time I see it.

So now I’m sitting in the airport at Vienna, contemplating everything I have learned and experienced over the last two months. I can’t help get the feeling that although from the outside the program is over, this is the beginning of a fantastic journey for me and all of the LEAP team.

Thank you to all who have joined me on this journey. But it’s not over. For now, I’m going to be getting back into work, starting to put together a plan for Logical Olympiad, and helping plan the NZMAG 2013 in Auckland on 6-8 September 2013. I am also going to be doing a presentation there, a hybrid between what is happening with our Young Members group and what I experienced at USMAG and EMAG. I think it’s important for me to keep blogging about what we’re doing here in Mensa, and what the LEAP team will be doing in future...

...so stay tuned...


1 comment:

  1. It'll be great to have you back Annika, and to watch as Mensa NZ grows from your experiences. Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete