Sunday 28 July 2013

Beautiful Vienna!

A beautiful morning greeted us as we flew from Bangkok into Vienna.
 

Today was my first morning in the beautiful city of Vienna. People tried to warn me how amazing Vienna is, but I can't really believe what I saw.

Once I made my way from Vienna Airport to my friend Tina's house, we set off to the middle of this city, through the beautiful old buildings to St Stephan's Cathedral, right in the heart of Vienna.

 It was a beautiful day and was interesting entering a church to take photos when there was a service on, but the people in there looked as though they were used to it.


We then missioned through the city, through the palace, once the winter home of the Austrian Royal Family.

 


We walked past the Natural History Museum and the Art History Museum. Tina told me when these amazing buildings were built, they put the patron saints of the Arts on the Science museum and the Arts on the science museum by mistake. They then covered this up by saying how could they protect a building they can't see, so they had to be on the top of the other building. Nice.


In this photo, the Art History museum is on the left and the Museum of natural history is on the right. The art and architecture in this area of town is absolutely stunning and well worth having a close look. The attention to detail is magnificent.


We then went to the Museum Quartier and had a great meal in the sun looking out over the courtyard.

After this, as the temperature crept higher to 35 degrees Celsius, we decided a great option would be to hit the beach down at the Danube. 

This was a great choice! While extremely busy, there was plenty of room for everyone to swim and sunbathe. 

After tiring ourselves out with lots of hard work down by the water, we headed back into town and hit the gym. I like visiting other gyms, but this was pretty cool because of where it was located. It is in the old Gasometer, where huge bells were suspended in water and lifted depending on how much gas there was. This has since been turned into an apartment building, mall and gym complex, very cool.

So all up, a very full on and exciting day! I'm going to sleep well tonight and can't wait for tomorrow.


2 comments:

  1. For some reason the photos aren't coming up for me :( I'm just getting URL addresses instead of all that awesomeness, and I can't even copy and paste them into my browser. I'll just have to see them all when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, 7 hours later I come back and there are the photos - magnifique!

    ReplyDelete