Thursday 4 July 2013

Dallas - day one

After we were stuck waiting 40 minutes to get off the plane, I got sent to the wrong terminal and the airport staff thought I'd missed my flight to Dulas, Washington (stupid accent haha!), I finally made it to Fort Worth, Texas! I'm staying in the Worthigton Renaissance Hotel, a gorgeous hotel in Fort Worth.  
I checked in with my roomie, the awesome Jessie Cat from Australia (based in Finland) and went to see what was happening around USMAG.

So, the US Mensa Annual Gathering is huge! There are 1600 people here! There are presentations, games rooms and the hospitality room pretty much running 24/7. 

We checked out the Gifted Youth/children coordinators meet and greet and ran into some of the awesome ladies who keep the children's and teens programmes running in the US. This was really interesting, especially to hear they share some of the same issues as us.

We then missioned off to a group we heard was having a few drinks and ran into the amazing GenY SIG who are the US equivalent of those of us who are in our late teens/early 20s in Young Members! They are a cool bunch and somehow I ended up talking to their coordinator and we went and talked shop for a couple of hours. It was fascinating hearing what he had to say about the initiatives GenY are trying to get underway, and the kind of support they would like from their National Board. Needless to say, I explained why I was there, and definitely hoped I would be able to provide something helpful for them to use.



No comments:

Post a Comment