Thursday 4 July 2013

Well... An interesting start!


When I got on my plane in Auckland on Monday morning, I definitely didn't know what would unfold. Had a nice day out in Sydney, saw the typical Sydney sights like the Harbour Bridge and the Opera house, then had fish and chips in the sun. If that's what Aussies call winter, I could definitely handle that!

Tuesday morning I went to check into my flight to LA, got there a little bit early so thought I would have a coffee and check my emails. Lo and behold it said my flight was delayed by 6 hours! I was going to miss my connection to Dallas.

I emailed my travel agent, the amazing Andrea at Karori flight centre, then went to the Virgin Australia desk to see what was happening. They didn't know, and went and had a staff meeting.

Flight cancelled. Oh no! Panic ensued, didn't know whether or not I would be able to get to LA. Staff didn't know and weren't able to say whether we could get on a flight the next day. We had to call the Virgin customer service line who at first had no idea what was happening and didn't know the flight had been cancelled.

Fortunately, Andrea was amazing (I will definitely be using her again!) and she got me on a Delta flight this morning and got me a new connection to Dallas. So instead of arriving 10.30pm Tuesday Dallas time, I will be there 2pm Wednesday. So many people didn't make it on and I would hate to think how they are all trying to get to LA.

I met a great girl during all this called Laura ( funny right Miss Burgess?!) and we both found out we had been rebooked on the Delta flight. So we decided to go check into our hotel provided by Virgin, the excellent Rydges Hotel at Sydney International, then did a bit more exploring around Sydney. We went through University of Sydney and checked out all the gothic inspired architecture (my favourite!)
We even saw an eel in the pond in the park!
We walked through the city to Newtown, which funnily enough feels like the Newtown of Wellington, just with a few more nice bars added in. We met up with Laura's friend Sophie and went and had Thai for dinner.



So despite a rocky start, I'm now at my gate in Sydney, waiting for my flight to LA. I've got a quick turn over in LA so I'll post again once I arrive in Dallas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment